Make this Mask: What a Skincare developer uses on her Face
Longtime friend of SLP, Ale Oré is the formulator and co-founder behind cult skincare line Florés Boticario. We asked her to share some spring sweetness with us, and she took us straight to the kitchen. Below, an SLP-tested, easy-to-make mask that embodies the love-your-skin nucleus of the Florés family.
I have a minimalistic approach to almost everything in life, and fell in love with this glaze mask because it's so simple and effective. It's also very convenient - you can find all of the ingredients at your local grocery store.
For the Skin Glaze Mask, you’re only going need two ingredients:
- Organic Sour Cream 14% OR Goat Sour Cream (Hewitt Dairy has Goat Sour Cream - just make sure the brand you select has no additives and preservatives)
- Royal Jelly OR Organic Honey (if you don’t already have some at home)
*note: Royal Jelly has amazing healing benefits but it’s pricey! Organic Honey will also do the trick!
Not only is this a great weekend chill-out mask, but it can also compliment your pre-makeup skincare routine. Before a night out, I'll wear this mask for 20 minutes. After, all I'll want to do is keep my skin as bare as possible by spot concealing, adding bit of cream blush on each cheek, a dusting of setting powder, grooming my brows and letting the after-mask-glow shine through.
Before we get to the 'how-to', I wanted to briefly touch on the 'why.' The reason I chose to use a fermented milk product, such as sour cream, is because it has lactic acid. Lactic Acid is a fantastic exfoliator; it hydrates, plumps, nourishes, rejuvenates, helps even out your complexion and leaves your skin feeling smooth, thanks to the naturally occurring AHA that forms during the fermentation process. Lactic Acid is also gentle, which makes it a great choice for all the sensitive-skinned beauties out there.
- In a bowl, scoop out 1 tbsp of Organic Sour Cream 14% (I use Western Creamery Sour Cream 14%. The texture is creamier compared to Goat Sour Cream, which has a thinner consistency. If you use Goat Sour Cream, use 1 1/2 tsp).
- Add 1/2 tsp of Royal Jelly or Organic honey
- Mix together until the honey is blended in with the sour cream.
You have two options:
- Option one: On clean skin with a clean foundation or mask brush, apply the glaze to your face. OR
- Option two: Apply a thin layer of the Rose Otto anti-aging elixir (or any other oil serum you have at home) first. Next, with a clean foundation brush, apply the glaze.
I like to do a few layers. Leave mask on for 15-20 min (editor's note: perfect time for a podcast/call to mom, dance party, etc) and rinse with lukewarm water.
After I rinse the mask off, I’ll ice my skin with a lavender ice cube (fresh or dried lavender buds + water in ice cube trays, boom), then my Rose Otto Anti-Aging Elixir (if I didn't use it under my mask). I'll top my skin off with either our Alps or Prêt-À-Repair. Don't forget to clean your brush afterwards!